1 of 10
Photo by Steve McNicholas
Stomp show comes to Barcelona
2 of 10
Divine Comedy Trilogy: 'Inferno, Purgatorio, Paradiso'The trilogy 'Inferno, Purgatorio, Paradiso' inspired by the Divine Comedy of Dante Alighieri, directed by Romeo Castellucci. 'Inferno' is on at the Teatre Grec on June 29th and 30th, 10pm, €16-28. 'Paradiso' is showing at La Capella July 1st to 3rd and 5th to 6th, 12pm and 5pm, free. 'Purgatorio' is at Teatre Lliure, July 5th to 7th, 10.30pm, €24
3 of 10
'The war of the children of light against the sons of darkness'The first co-production between the Grec and other European cultural festivals, this play is inspired by Josep Flavi's 'The War of the Jews'. It's directed by Amos Gitai and has an international line-up that includes Jeanne Moreau and Jérome Koening. Teatre Grec, July 17th and 18th, 10pm, €16-28
4 of 10
'Datamatics'In the Teatre Grec amphitheatre, the visual artist and Japanese electronic music composer Ryoji Ikeda presents 'Datamatics'. July 1st, 10pm, €12
5 of 10
'Sing the Truth, The music of Nina Simone'Line-up of four internationally-renowned singers pay tribute to Nina Simone: Lizz Wright, a hugely talented singer with eclectic musical tastes, will perform both covers and her own compositions; Dianne Reeves, one of the most outstanding jazz voices today, will show us why she has won four Grammy awards and counting; Angélique Kidjo, will perform in several languages; and, finally, Simone, daughter of Nina, will perform songs most closely identified with her mother. Here, then, is a spectacular foursome, four great women singers who will light up the Teatre Grec.July 12th, 10 pm, €25-48
6 of 10
Vinicio CaposselaItalian Vinicio Capossela comes to Barcelona to present a concert based on 'Da Solo', his 10th album. A true poet-musician, Capossela entrances audiences everywhere with his stories about losers and outsiders. Capossela, a musician whose music is language, promises a night of magic. Teatre Grec, July 7th, 10pm, €16-35
7 of 10
'Entity'This show, coreographed by Wayne McGregor, is performed by 10 characters who are stretched to the limit of their physical being, flying over the stage to the rhythm of music created by Jon Hopkins (who has worked with Coldplay and Massive Attack) and Joby Talbot (composer for The Divine Comedy and the White Stripes). Witness the unbelievable. Mercat de les Flors, June 28th and 29th, 9pm, €22
8 of 10
H3The art of Bruno Beltrão, a leading figure in Brazilian dance today, has its roots in the most irreverent, popular street hip hop. Beltrão breathes vibrant life into every movement in H3, his sixth production, imbuing the show with his unique choreographic language as, accompanied by street noises, his dancers create astonishing movements together on the darkened stage. Mercat de les Flors, July 2nd and 3rd, 9pm, €22
9 of 10
Present vulnerableThis production is inspired by the texts and poems in the poet and translator Feliu Formosa’s works. This ‘Vulnerable Present’ is an austere yet dazzling show that explores the feelings generated by the loss of a loved one, in this case the poet’s wife. Through poetry and dance, Andrés Corchero and Rosa Muñoz tell a story, full of contradiction, about that mysterious bridge that exists between life and death, one which is always full of hope. TNC Sala Petita, July 9th to 19th, 8pm (Sat. 9.30pm, Sun. 6pm)
10 of 10
IV Obrador d’estiu de la Sala BeckettAn international encounter of emergent playwrights with courses, seminars and dramatic readings. Antiga Fàbrica de Fabra i Coats, July 4th to 11th, free entrance.
- Mishima is the biographic film of the famed Japanese writer, Yukio Mishima. Directed by Paul Schrader of Taxi Driver fame (and produced by Francis Ford Coppola), it's a highly stylised and episodic story that is split into four parts.
- St Trinian's: The Legend of Fritton's Gold (Supercañeras. El Internado puede ser una fiesta). Once again the famous school hits our screens, Rupert Everett and Colin Firth star.
- Tetro - a visually arresting cinematic tale of family drama directed by Francis Ford Coppola. A young boy goes to find his older brother in Argentina, a famous writer who has been missing for more than a decade. Vincent Gallo stars.
CONCERTS AND CLUBS
- Reggae group The Congos perform almost 30 years after their seminal album Heart of the Congos was released with Lee 'Scratch' Perry at the helm. In 2005, the band reformed without Perry, going on to record tracks with artists like Sly and Robbie playing sessions tracks. Apolo, 9.45pm
- Eric McFadden, the legendary six-string guitar maestro, makes an appearance for not just one night but two. His genre-spanning music with the Eric McFadden Trio and his work with Parliament and Funkadelic has made him one of the most interesting and innovative guitarist of our time. La Cova de les Cultures, 9.30pm, €6.
- Kees Van Dongen was a member of the short-lived Fauvism movement whose work was characterised by intense, saturated colours, which were used as emotional expression as opposed to the natural rendition of the artist's vision. The only portraitist in the group, this is the first retrospective of the Dutch artist in Spain and includes over 100 painting and drawings. Museu Picasso, until September 29th.
- The enduringly popular theatre piece Stomp arrives in Barcelona today. The energetic dance performance has played to over 10 million people since its premiere in 1991 and in that period has consumed over 50,000 boxes of matches, 30,000 brooms, 20,000 bins, 10,000 drumsticks and 25,000 litres of black paint applied with 737 paint rollers. Teatre Victòria, 7pm and 9pm.
CONCERTS AND CLUBS
- Joanjo Bosk y l'Orquestra de Cambra de l'Emporda, in a defiant move away from his rock style, local vocalist Joanjo Bosk joins forces with the Orquestra de Cambra de l'Empordà for one night to perform work by Catalan cambra composers such as Lluís Llach and J.M. Serrat. Palau de la Música, 9pm
- Eric McFadden, the legendary guitar maestro, gives his second performance of the weekend. His genre-spanning music with the Eric McFadden Trio and his work with Parliament and Funkadelic have made him one of the most interesting and innovative guitarists of our time. Sala Monasterio, 10pm, €6.
- Ludovic Vendi has a musical background that ranges from his upbringing to time playing in a rock band but the lure of the mixing desk proved too strong and he dropped his instruments for decks when he moved to Barcelona from France in 2003. Minimal techno and rare grooves are his thing. Sala BeCool, 1am
- Deambulando por el cielo. Dance group Del Cel open the 'Black Museum Club' series of shows at the Museo de Ciencias. The aerial dancers reach for the stars as they perform their jaw-dropping dances. Outside the l'edificio de Zoologia, 10pm.
- The first of two gay pride parades this weekend happens today at 6.30pm and starting in Plaça Universitat. Organised by the Comissió Unitaria, this is the parade that has taken place in Barcelona for the past few years, and which aims to have a notably political angle and raise awareness for homosexual rights. See website for details: www.28juny.org
- The main event at Pride 09 is the parade organised by Associació Catalana d'Empreses per a Gais i Lesbianes, which takes place in Barcelona for the first time this year. Expect banging music, dancing and costumes galore as the floats and processions wrap up a week of partying and events. Gay Pride Parade, Plaça Unversitat, 5pm
- Entity by Wayne McGregor is the latest work by dance wünderkid McGregor whose cutting-edge work has been groundbreaking in its inclusion of technology and for its fast and fluid style. 'Entity' is an hour-long performance accompanied by a soundtrack featuring Coldplay, Massive Attack collaborator Jon Hopkins and composer Joby Talbot. For many, a must-see event in this year's Grec Festival. Mercat de les Flors, 9pm