Sala BeCool, July 5th
- Ice Age 3: Dawn of the Dinasaurs - One for the kids, the animation favourite is now showing its third sequel.
- The Last House on the Left (La Última casa a la Izquierda) Horror king Wes Craven has remade his own 1972 horror film. The story revolves around fate of two teenagers aftet they are kidnapped and tortured by a gang.
CONCERTS AND CLUBS
- In what is the fifth year of the Barcelona Festival of Song, José Lezcano plays iberoamericano guitar. Residència d'Investigadors, 8.30pm. Free entrance. www.barcelonafestivalofsong.com
- Boot Step is a night of dub with artists like Uxuka, Mr Gasparov and C156 with visuals by AC3Monitor. Culture Club at World Trade Center, 8pm. €8 with beer.
- Nits de Jazz opens at Sala Monesterio tonight with the Chaqueteros playing a medley of their greatest hits. Sala Monesterio, 9.30pm, €6.
- Celebrated tenor Ian Bostridge sings the last performance of the season - he is performing the works of Schubert alongside the piano accompaniment of Julius Drake. The Liceu, 8pm
- The club collective of six Berliners, Jazzanova is rightly viewed as one of the most innovative musical groups whose work with the likes of Masters at Work and Fat Freddy's Drop is deeply loved and respected around the world. Alex Barck, one of the 3 DJ members of Jazzanova and likes to mix jazzy beats with more modern tracks. www.salabecool.com
- Carnacelona 2009 is the first such event in Barcelona, looking to recreate the legendary Bahia carnival, acts include Banda Eva, Groove Armada, Guru Josh Project, DJ Donnie, and Keturbara on Friday; and Asa de Aguia, DJ Wally Lopez, DJ Funk da Void, DJ Miss Cady, and Negro Joya on Saturday. Parc del Fòrum, Friday & Saturday, 5pm. www.carnacelona.com
- Stripart 09 is a scheme for young artists to have their work displayed and promoted. All the artists are under 35, and work with video art, photography and painting and the exhibition will be on show until May 9th. Centre Civic Guinardó.
CONCERTS AND CLUBS
- The Barcelona Festival of Song continues and tonight it's the turn of mezzosoprano Marisa Martins and Mac McClure on piano to perform canción catalana. Ateneu Barcelonés, 8.30pm. Free entrance. www.barcelonafestivalofsong.com
- The Glimmers are at Razzmatazz tonight to bring to the masses their mix of disco beats and heaving drums and spiky guitar. The Ghent brothers are here to promote their latest album Disko Drunkards. Razzmatazz.
- To commemorate the signing of the act of independence of Venezuela, ASOCAVEN - Asociación Catalano Venezolana is celebrating with a day of activities including theatre and concerts at the Centro Civico, "Casa Sagnier" and the party continues at the Café Noir (9pm) where there will also be DJs playing merengues and salsa and a special menu available. 12pm-6pm, Centro Civico.
- 5Metrajes is now in its fourth season and has proved a popular vehicle for short film makers to show their work, tonight sees a mixture of fictional, humourous and documentary styles presented. Llantiol, 6pm. www.5metrajes.blogspot.com. Please note, punctuality is requested.
- Nits de Montjuïc 09 sees the facilities up on the hill stay open throughout the night. Those taking part include MNAC), the Mercat de les Flors, Jardín Botánico and the Fundación Miró and the Caixafòrum, among others. From 8pm till dawn. www.bcn.cat/cultura/montjuicnit/
Ana Marta Leite and Natalia Roman join forces in this joint exhibition, Lada a Lado. Ana Marta Leite, is a Portuguese-born painter but combines the elements of drawings, photos and painting and Natalia Roman's latest work remains on the side of abstract and are saturated in colour - the two artists are exhibiting together for the first time. Galeria Trama, until July 31st. www.galeriatrama.com
- Barcelona has gone all Fauvist with both Kees Van Dongen showing at the Museu Picasso and Maurice de Vlaminck's is being exhibited in Barcelona for the first time. Considered one of the most radical of the fauvist, (so called by a journalist who deemed the loose collective to be like a cage of wild beasts). His coloured infused work covers landscapes and still-life plus included in the comprehensive exhibition is some of de Vlaminck's sculpture work. CaixaForum, until October 18th.
CONCERTS AND CLUBS
- The Gories and Oblivans play a special garage punk rock night at Sala BeCool. The Gories heralded a new approach to the genre by playing blues influenced punk rock back in Detroit the late 80's. With all of the original band members back on stage it will be a great show for lovers of the genre. The Oblivans are a Memphis underground rock and roll band whose sound is savage and raw heavily influenced by the greats like The Ramones and The Stooges. Sala BeCool, 9pm, €22
- Fast gaining a reputation as the place to party on a Sunday, the anything goes Pink Sundays night at the ME hotel have special guests David Delfín and Bimba Bosé performing. ME Hotel, 7pm
- The massively popular theatre spectacular Stomp is back in Barcelona after a five year absence and this weekend are holding a percussion workshop where students will learn how to create music using everyday found objects - held in conjunction with the Ajuntament to help promote recycling in the city. Glorieta del Parc de la Ciutadella, 1pm.