Jaumandreu & Asociados
1. Where did the original idea come from? Jaumandreu & Asociados has been trading in Barcelona and Madrid for more than 25 years and has now created a new division addressed to entrepreneurs. We have realised that the Anglophone community in Barcelona keeps on growing and most of them are entrepreneurs. We know that creating and growing a business in our country is not as simple as it is in other countries. Therefore the entrepreneurs require either a good knowledge of the Spanish law or someone acting as a business partner, helping them to deal with it or act in their behalf.
2. How long did it take to get your business off the ground? It’s been a long time since we began. Our focus now is to grow this new division. Although this is a very competitive market where is difficult to differentiate one provider from another, our knowhow, experience and solid structure is helping us to give entrepreneurs what they really need, because this is what we can do best, helping business to be profitable while being up to date with their tax obligations.
3. What do you wish you’d known when you started? One thing we have learned from experience and that we recommend to our customers is not to try to do everything for themselves. Being small and having limited resources, sometimes leads entrepreneurs to think that they can do everything themselves. But when they are struggling with things not related to their business they are not performing their best and they are losing business opportunities because they have less time to do what they really do well.
4. How easy was it get the financing for your business? A bank is a kind of investor trying to get out the most of its money. What we always do, and recommend to our customers, is to develop a business plan where you can demonstrate your idea viability. When the idea is good, banks are normally willing to help.
5. Did you find the bureaucracy difficult? Spanish Bureaucracy is one of the areas we know pretty well. Dealing with other entrepreneurs’ bureaucracy is one of the services we provide. That gives our customers extra time to focus on their business and clients.
6. Did you get help from any particular official organisations or associations (e.g. Chambers of Commerce)? We have regular contact will these organisations and that helps us to be aware of all available assistance and local normatives so that our customers can take advantage of them.
7. What is your business experience / background / qualifications? We are lawyers and business advisors. Our team has the required qualifications to deal with legal and labour matters, as well as accountancy and tax. Our firm has been running for more than 25 years. This is quite an extensive period of time in which to see almost every situation that a business can go through.
8. What are the positive aspects about having a business here? Our business was born here, more than 25th years ago. We are specialised in Spanish law and business procedures. We understand this might not be a simple thing for a foreign company or entrepreneur. But this is our main value: helping other companies to successfully go through the Spanish
9. And the negative aspects? Without doubt: the currently damaged Spanish economy. However, we have reasons to believe it’s getting a bit better.
10. Are there any other useful contacts, tips or information you think would be useful to other foreign entrepreneurs in Barcelona? Leave all bureaucracy in our hands and free yourself from all the hassle. You will gain time to focus in your business and to take extra care of your customers.