Not sure if you need to change your driving licence to a Spanish one? Read on for our advice
Is my current licence valid? If you are an EU licence holder, yes, although it's worth getting an inscription put on your licence (see below).
If your licence was not issued in the EU you can legally drive in Spain for six months. After that period you must convert your licence to fit EU regulations. Note that you must be 18 to drive a car in Spain.
What do I need to do to get an inscription on my licence?
- A copy of your NIE/DNI certificate
- Your driving licence from your country of residence
- Proof of address (you must have lived in Barcelona for at least six months)
- Proof of social security payments (a wage slip should do it)
- A photocopy of your passport
- A form (solicitud de inscripción del permiso de conducir) which can be picked up from the Traffic Office
How much will it cost to convert my licence or get an 'inscription' on my licence? See the DGT website for up to date fees.
What do I need to do to convert a non-EU licence? You must retake your test here in Spain and provide a number of documents.
What documents do I need to convert my non-EU licence?
- Copy of your NIE/DNI certificate
- Your visa or passport
- Proof of social security payments
- Your driving licence from your country of residence and a photocopy of it
- A signed form (self-declaration) saying that you only hold one driving licence
- A signed form (self-declaration) which declares that your original licence is valid, and a translation of your licence by a legal translator if it is not in Spanish
- A medical report (the form can be obtained from one of the centres next to the Jefatura Provincial de Tráfico)
- Proof of address (you must have been in Barcelona for six months)
- A 32 x 26mm passport style colour photograph
- A form (solicitud de carnet del permiso de conducir) which can be picked up from the Traffic Office or found on their website http://www.dgt.es
I don't have a licence in my own country, how can I get one here? To start it is worth mentioning that the driving test here in Spain is notoriously difficult. As in other countries you will need to take driving lessons and theory lessons and pass both a theory and practical test.
How can I get lessons? Practical lessons cost around €25 per hour and theory lessons around €30.
Autoscuela Corsa speak English and have several centres around the city.
CocheEscuela have some English-speaking instructors.