Picture by Gonzalo Rueda
THIS WEEKEND—May 15th to 17th
-Angels and Demons (Angeles y Demonios). The much anticipated sequel/prequel to The Da Vinci Code. Tom Hank's Robert Langdon is this time up against the resurgence of an ancient and mysterious secret brotherhood, The Illuminati. Ron Howard directs.
-Fighting (Puños de Asfalto). Dito Montiel directs a cast of relative newcomers in this film about, well, fighting. A young crook falls into the seedy world of street fighting and finds himself enbroiled in the New York bare-knuckle scene.
-The Possibility of an Island (La posibilidad de una isla). The directorial debut of literary bad-boy Michel Houllebecq. Critically panned but perhaps it will be a bigger hit with audiences. A reworking of his controversial novel of the same name.
- A concert to kickstart a Brazilian-themed weekend of music at the Monty Café, tonight the young Ana Rossi sings some of her hits, including 'Pra dizer adeus' and 'Mancada'. 11.50pm, Monty Café, 93 368 2882, €3.
- Originally known as the front man of the band Els Pirates, Ivan Ferrerio has now forged out a successful solo career. Playing for the first time in the Palau de la Música Catalana as part of the 20 Festival Guitarra, tonight he will be joined by his brother Amaro Ferreiro on guitar and Angel Luis Samos on piano for a part acoustic and electric evening. 9.30pm, Palau de la Música Catalana, C/ Sant Pere Més Alt, s/n. www.palaumusica.org
- Joint Session presents Solid Gold. DJs Souljah and Roger C play deep funk, soul and jazz from 11pm-3am. Gran Foc, Roger de Lluria 23, www.jointsessions.info. Free entry.
- Jon Richardson brings his own unique wit to the hugely popular Giggling Guiri comedy series. He's been called one of the comic of his generations and his BBC Radio 6 show is laugh out loud funny. 10pm. Cafe Teatre Llantiol. €15-17. www.comedyinspain.com
- Istanbul. Fotoespai shows the work of photographer Coty Santagata who takes as his subject the vibrant and richly diverse city of Istanbul. The colour flooded images show the everyday life of city residents up close where modernity meets history on every corner. Until May 29th. Fotoespai, Coroleu, 74 (baixos). 93 311 9273, www.fotoespai.cat
- Certainly one of the better International Day of's that we now have, May 15th is now recognised as the International Day of the Cocktail thanks to the American Museum of Cocktails who deemed it so in 2006. To celebrate the day, Ideal Cocktail Bar is holding a day of cocktails where you can enjoy specially-made inventions and snacks. 1pm, Aribau 89, www.idealcocktailbar.com.
- Gossip presents DJ Katch, best known for his remixing of Kanye West and being a member of the DJ set, Neoyorquino Crooklyn Clan. Lotus Theatre, 12-5am.
- The Arram Fefer trio treat you to a night of big band, funk and jazz as Tom Warburton on bass and Marc Ayza on drums join legendary saxophonist Arram Fefer on stage for an evening of a mix of musical references including pieces from West Africa. 9pm. Jamboree, Plaça Reial 17, €12.
- Inauguration of exhibition 'Krudakammer', which shows the work of artists involved in the new Arts journal La Cruda. La Cruda aims to be a platform for young artists of all mediums, comic, illustration, paintings, photography and proposes to be a way for these creative youngsters to show their own unique vision of the contemporary world. In conjunction with the Nit dels Museus, which takes place today (see below). Until June 1st. Galeria Safia, Bruniquer 9 (baixos), 93 213 8496. www.galeriasafia.com.
- In collaboration with the International Day of Museums on the 18th, La Nit dels Museus opens the doors of a large number of institutions around the city from 7pm-1am for free. Giving people the opportunity to head to their favourite or previously unvisited gallery or museum to check out the exhibitions and installations. There will also be a host of special events being held at some of the venues taking part, as well as an Open Day on Sunday. Check the website to see who is participating in this popular annual event. www.lanitdelsmuseus.cat.
- To commemorate the centenary of the death of Catalan composer and pianist Isaac Albéniz, the Liceu is putting on sections of some of his best loved work. Including the operas The Magic Opal and Merlin. 6pm, Gran Teatre del Liceu, 93 485 9972, www.liceubarcelona.com
- Sound artist Phill Niblock is a legendary minimalist composer who pioneered the technique of microtone composition. His overtone works are made without melody and rhythm and are held as the best examples of avant-garde music. Now in his 70s, he is continues to be prolific, holding up to 100 concerts a year at his Experimental Intermedia foundation. 9.30pm. €8. Hangar, Passatge del Marques de Santa Isabel, 93 308 4041, www.hangar.org
- Secretsundaze, the mammoth London clubbing institution comes to show off what made them awesomely popular. A one-off night in Barcelona that brings together Giles Smith, Jason Priestly, Justin Blair, Gegenheimer and Jenius on the decks. Don't miss it. Mondo Club, Moll d'Espanya, 7pm-4am. €10.
- Lick my sneakers opening night, DJ Kapi plays hip-hop and breaks and disco. Don't miss the design exhibition and special street shows. 11pm-4.30am
- 25hombres perform a night of music and poetry at the Heliogàbal trimestre of Poesia. Free entry this weekend. See website for more information, www.heliogabal.com. 10pm. Heliogàbal, Ramon y Cajal 80.
- DiBa, check out the films and documentaries on the opening day of the Digital Barcelona Film Festival. With a huge list of professional and semi-professional films being shown it will be hard to choose what to go and see. See their website for a full listing of what is being shown. Various venues throughout the city. www.dibafestival.com.