June 21st is the day given over to the celebration of music for the International Day of Music, and all over the world there will be concerts, recitals and performances celebrating our sonorous world. Here in Barcelona, the Día Internacional de la Música sees numerous and diverse musical performances in each neighbourbood. It offers the listener a plethora of styles and genres to enjoy, and all for free. Hurray! Visit www.bcn.cat for more information about who’s on where.
Of course, free is everyone’s kind of price so here are some more musical offerings taking place this month where you don’t have to dig deep for the entrance fee.
- Pasillo Cultural. A night of audio and visual treats. This fun evening combines short videos, photo projections and other work by international artists, all played out to the soundtrack of DJ sets. June 5th, 9.30pm. Mau Mau Underground, Fontrodona 33. www.myspace.com/pasillocultural
- Sedetarock. A series of free concerts in the Centre Civic la Sedeta, including: A Contra Blues band play, well yes, blues (June 5th, 10pm) and Funk’a’Mix provide a night of funk fusion (June 12th, 10pm). Centre Civic La Sedeta, Sicilia 321, Plaça Jardins de La Sedata (Gràcia), 93 458 4130
- XX Nit de l’Havanera a les fonts de Montjuïc. Havaneres are sea-shanties brought back from Cuba by sailors in the 19th century and tell of lost loves and faraway ancestors and the singers are usually accompanied by guitar and accordion. Four local groups perform, Grup Folk Montjuïc, Port-Bo, Marejol and Arrels de la Terra Ferma. Join them for a good old sing-song. June 6th, 9pm. Fonts Magica, Pl. Carles Buïgas I. www.bcn.cat
- Vermut Jazz Cycle. If jazz is your thing then don’t miss a series of outdoor concerts put on as part of the Vermut Jazz cycle at the l’Auditori. The first three Sundays in June will see you have the chance to enjoy local jazz talent for free: Swingtrèpid (7th), Frederick Carlquist and Dave Mitchell (14th), and the Jove Big Band Taller de Músics (21st). Espai Exterior de l’Auditori, 12.45pm. www.auditori.com
- Cicle de Music & Insòlit. The Caja Madrid cultural centre plays host to a cycle of music that employs unusual and unconventional instruments. This month, educate your ears with the sounds of Mil Pesetas (4th) and the Orchestra Fireluche (11th). Mil Pesetas are a musical collective who have no fixed repertoire or line-up, instead defining their sound with each performance. Orchestra Fireluche are a band who make their music with toy instruments. Espai Cultural de l’Obra Social Caja Madrid, 7.30pm. Not free, but at €2.50, a very fair price. www.obrasocialcajamadrid.es