Trinxat is a hearty mixture of cabbage and boiled potatoes, served with bacon. The secret of a good trinxat is sourcing good quality seasonal products, particularly the cabbage, which has been touched lightly by frost.
- Difficulty level: Easy
- Preparation time: 50 minutes
1 head of cabbage
6 garlic cloves (finely sliced)
4 bacon slices
Oil, salt and pepper
- Clean and chop the cabbage leaves, and boil for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel and dice the potatoes. Add to the cabbage leaves with a pinch of salt, and boil all together for 20 minutes.
- Cut the bacon into strips. Heat a little oil in a large pan. Fry the bacon and set aside.
- In the same pan, fry the finely sliced garlic.
- Drain the potatoes and cabbage and mash together.
- Add the cabbage and potatoes mixture to the pan with the garlic.
- Continue to cook over a low heat for about five minutes, and season to taste.
- Garnish with bacon and serve.
- For vegetarians, leave out the bacon.
- You could also add leeks for extra taste.
- The dish can be served with black pudding, herring or fried cubes of ham.
Visit can find more traditional Catalan recipes here. Toni Rocamora is the head chef of a big family and lover of all gastronomy-related sports, such as snail hunting, mushroom hunting and market shopping. Toni was born in Oliana, a small town in the foothills of the Pyrenees, and inherited his passion for cooking from his mother, famous for her traditional family recipes.