The Catalan political parties have failed to bring to Congress a unified text about the state of the Estatut (read article in Castilian here, El Pais). Each party will today present in the plenary session of Congress their versions on the text, in which there are common elements, but also notable differences. The text of the PSOE and PSC parties includes the recognition of the mistreatment of the Catalan society under the ruling by the TC and references the preamble of the statute which affirmed the "Catalan national reality." It also includes the respect for the sentence and most importantly, the possibility of redeveloping other items previously canceled. The Socialist party made themselves available to seek agreement with other parties but the President, José Luis Rodríguez Zapatero, gave orders not to negotiate changes to the resolution by agreement with the Catalan Socialists. The ERC stance is the most extreme because it speaks of the independence of Catalunya, whilst the CiU includes almost literally the words from José Montilla's speech given in response to the ruling. In the PSC party there is satisfaction about the development of the debate. The party executive met yesterday with Montilla and Daniel Fernandez and expressed his congratulations.
A former mechanic who worked at Tibidabo said yesterday that "El Péndulo was trouble from the beginning" (read article in Castilian here, El Pais). Joaquín Barón, who worked in the park for three years with subcontractor Copisa which was responsible for maintenance until a few months ago. He also reported yesterday that the axis linking the mechanical arm to the mast broke in June 2007. The Ayuntamiento admitted yesterday that the attraction suffered a breakdown that forced it to close for several days. Barón, speaking to El Pais, said "That machine is poorly miscalculated from the ground up, from the first to the last screw." The Ayuntamiento, however insisted that the ride did not give any extra problems when compared with the other attractions. Mayor, Jordi Hereu acknowledged in a press conference yesterday that something in the many daily, weekly, monthly and annual checks didn't work and caused Andrea Blanco, to die on Saturday when she fell from the ride. One of the other injured children remains in hospital in Vall d'Hebron in a serious, but stable condition. Hereu stated that the Ayuntamiento had to assume responsibility for the accident since it is the owner of the park and promised to "clarify all the causes that led to the tragedy." The company ATISAE, who issued the last annual certificate for the ride, dated June 9th, declined to talk to the press, as did the manufacturer of the attraction Fabbri Group.
FC Barcelona is to try to reestablish relations with London football club Arsenal in order to kick start negotiations to sign Cesc Fàbregas (read article in Castilian here, La Vanguardia). Bartomeu, said "Until August 31st (deadline for the transfer market), all negotiations are open." He argued that the initial strategy is to rebuild bridges between the two clubs. The vice-president said "We must talk about what has gone wrong and respect what the other is thinking." When asked whether the price to buy Fàbregas would be around €40 million euros, Bartomeu would only comment that there is price already set in the operation. He clarified "We are not in the negotiating phase, but are restoring relationships." According to a report published today in Mundo Deportivo, sources close to the English team have revealed that the price for the Catalan player is closer to €60 million.