Unemployment in Spain has fallen again for the third month in a row (read article in Castilian here, La Vanguardia). The number of people registered with the Spanish public employment offices (previously called INEM) fell to 4.12 million in June, a reduction of 67,858 or 1.62 percent compared to May, according to figures from the Ministry of Work and Immigration. This means that, since December 2010, the number of people out of work has fallen three times. The secretary of state for employment, Mari Luz Rodríguez, emphasised the good news that means almost 212,000 people have found work over the past three months. Both men and women were affected by the positive figures in June, although more men (41,504 or 2.01 percent) found a job than women (26,354 or 1.24 percent); there are now 2.02 million unemployed men and 2.1 million women.
Six people died in four road accidents in Catalunya this weekend (read article in Catalan here, Avui). The accidents took place on motorways and main roads in the region, between 3pm on Friday and 7am this morning, according to the Catalan Traffic Service (Servei Català de Trànsit, SCT). The first mortal accident occurred on Sunday morning in the Priorat comarca (county), when a motorcycle left the road and both its riders, a man and a woman, were killed. A second accident took place on Sunday afternoon in Berguedà involving two cars, in which two people died, while four were seriously injured. The third accident saw a car cross into the lane of oncoming traffic, for reasons that are not yet clear and collided with another vehicle, last night in Selva. Both drivers were trapped in their cars and had to be released by the fire service; one was seriously injured and later died, while two others were also injured and transferred to hospital. The final accident took place this morning, when a young man died after his car crashed, for unknown reasons, against a bus stop in a town in the Empordà area of the Costa Brava.
Teddy Bautista, the president of the Sociedad General de Autores y Editores (SGAE), which is responsible for gathering money owed to musicians, actors and writers, amongst others, for the use and reproduction of their work, has been released without bail following his appearance in court yesterday on corruption charges (read article in Castilian here, El Periodico). Bautista, along with the director general of the organisation, Enrique Loras, and the financial director, Ricardo Azcoaga, were accused of 'apropriación indebida' (misappropriation of funds) and administración fraudulente (fraudulent management). Bautista is also accused of a delito societario (crime related to members) for having denied or preventing members exercising their right to receive information, for which he could receive a penalty of 12 months. The judge in the case said that he considered the misappropriation of funds charge (which could result in a prison term of six years) particularly serious because of the significant amount of money involved. For fraudulent management, the accused could be sentenced to four years of jail. The three men were charged and released by the judge who said that the possibility of them trying to flee was small. However, he has officially forbidden them to leave Spain and made them hand over their passports.