After months of discussions, tension and rumour, it seems that the Catalan government is happy with the proposed budget put forward by the Spanish government (article in Castilian, La Vanguardia). Although the Spanish economic minister Elena Salgado has announced the agreement on the financing plan, she has not actually announced how much money each autonomous community will be receiving. However, the Generalitat is content because it will now be able to keep 25 percent of the income it generates, with the other 75 percent being shared amongst other communities that don't produce as much money; at present, 100 percent of the Generalitat's income is claimed to fund essentials in other parts of Spain. In addition, Catalunya will receive funding that is above the Spanish average per capita.
Seven people were injured, two of them seriously, when a tram and a bus collided in Badalona on Sunday (article in Catalan, Avui). All those who were hurt were travelling in the bus at the time of the accident, which happened in the early evening at about 6.30 at the crossing between Avinguda Marquès de Montroig and Avinguda Congrés Eucarístic. The bus driver got trapped in his vehicle and had to be freed by firemen.
After three years on hold, the project to build a train line to the new Terminal One (T1) at Barcelona airport has now been restarted; however, in the document approved by the Spanish Ministry of Public Works (Ministerio de Fomento) there is nothing about the suggested fast-train (AVE) link with the airport. Instead, the plan is to build a Cercanias line, the existing system which operates in the metropolitan areas of some of the bigger cities in Spain, and which cannot be used by high-speed trains. In 2006, the Generalitat, the Barcelona Ajuntament and Chamber of Commerce all petitioned Fomento for a high-speed train station to be built at the T1, but the proposal has progressed no further.
Also in the news: Eto'o to Manchester United? (El Periodico); Catalan police receive 300 false alarm calls every day from security systems (Avui); women are more willing to report domestic violence (La Vanguardia)