Unemployment rises again in the second quarter to 20.09 percent (read article in Castilian here, El Pais). Labour market suffers a third consecutive crash with 32,800 new unemployed people which brought the total to 4,6455 million people out of work. According to the Labour Force Survey (EPA) published today by the INE, a day after Congress approved of the labour reforms, the unemployment rate rose to 20.09 percent. Thus making it the third consecutive year where the labour market has deteriorated. Since the beginning of the economic crisis the number of those out of work has risen from, 1.76 million to 4,6455, which is the highest figure recorded since the INE started to collect data. The worst section of society hit remains the young, who's situation continues to worsen. According to the EPA, the majority of the newly unemployed are people aged between 35-39 or over 44. In general the profile of the unemployed who have found employment in the second quarter are male, aged over 35 years and working in the service sector.
Ten municipalities recover some of their history confiscated by Franco (read article in Castilian here, El Pais). The Delegación del Gobierno has returned 43 confiscated books that they had kept on file for 70 years. Yesterday, Juan Rangel, the government delegate for Catalunya presented the mayors of the the municipalities of Sadurní d'Anoia Sant (Alt Penedès), Vallbona d'Anoia Capellades (Anoia), Sant Jaume dels Domenys (Penedès Baix), Sarral ( Conca de Barberà), Preixens (La Noguera), Guissona (La Segarra), The Forest (Les Garrigues), and Marco Falset (Priorat), a total of 43 books and municipal accounts of the years during the war. Nati Castejón, director of the Archivo Comarcal del Baix Penedès, said, "It's a very happy day." The discovery of the books and files was made by chance in 2008, when a historian was working on some research project. Delegate Rangel, said that the decision to return the books came after a decision of the presidency of the central government and "is an effort to recover our memory and assess the role of local councils." Josep Cruanyes, spokesman for the Comisión de la Dignidad, welcomed the act yesterday but criticised Rangel, for not responding to the request from members of the Association of Archivists of Catalunya, "to visit the archive to see if there were more municipal documents," and called for a detailed inventory and public."
Recently published data from 2009 reveals that one in four residents of Barcelona have been a victim of crime or misdemeanor during the last year, however officials are insisting the situation is improving (read article in Castilian here, El Periodico). The results of the survey, which are the worst in 25 years, have led both the PP and CiU party to criticise the work being done. Xavier Trias, said of the data that it was "very serious" and blamed mayor, Jordi Hereu and security councillor, Assumpta Escarp's security policy. Escarp played down the results on Wednesday, saying that the crimes were for thefts of handbags and purses and was not based on violent or serious crime. Municipal president of the PP party, Alberto Fernández Díaz, called for "responsible and clear change," and predicted a change of mayor this summer. He went on to say that "Barcelona is now, more than ever, a capital of crime," and his view said that they needed tougher policing. The Mossos d'Esquadra have admitted that 2009 was indeed a very bad year for security in Barcelona but was trying to redirect the situation. Indeed in the last six months the number of thefts and crimes committed in the city has declined.
Also in the news: The Metro returns to Carmel, five years after the collapse of buildings (read full article in Castilian here, La Vanguardia). The Grec festival closing after their most successful run yet, with a total of 120.020 spectators (read full article in Castilian
, El Pais).