Airlines British Airways and Iberia have announced that they are to merge (article in Castilian, El Periodico). Stock exchanges reacted favourably to the announcement about the fusion of the two embattled companies, which is due to take place next year, and the share price of both rose after the news was released yesterday afternoon. The deal will see Iberia take 45 percent of the capital in new holding company TopCo (to be based in Madrid), and BA the remaining 55 percent; the Spanish airline originally hoped for 60 percent. Both companies have been badly hit by the crisis and have recorded high losses throughout this year; they hope that the merger will see savings of costs up to €400 million. However, the agreement still needs approval from the EU.
Núria Parlón has been chosen by the municipal Socialist group of Santa Coloma de Gramanet to take over the role of town mayor following the recent corruption charges against the elected Bartomeu Muñoz (article in Catalan, Avui). At a meeting held yesterday afternoon, the 35-year-old was selected through a vote by the local group of the Partit Socialista de Catalunya (PSC) of Santa Coloma; one of those who took part, Antoni Fogué, stressed that that the decision had been made at a local level and not imposed by the upper echelons of the party. Speaking at a press conference following the vote, Parlón said that "it is a great responsibility and satisfaction to be able to lead the project" of Santa Coloma and that she aims to recover the dignity of the city following the corruption scandal that saw not only Mayor Muñoz, but various other councillors, politicians and businessmen arrested.
Also in the news: Spaniards due to spend almost 20 percent less this Christmas (El Periodico); Partido Popular forbids leaders from accepting gifts from suppliers (La Vanguardia); Avinguda Diagonal to be lit up for Christmas (Avui)